Bali Travel Diary

By HuiHui - Sunday, August 27, 2017


During our last vacation in Bali, my boyfriend and I agreed that this is a place where we want to try coming back every year. Unfortunately, there are so many other places on our travel bucket list, so we found ourselves back in Bali only after two whole years.

Especially after all the recent hiking trips, I really needed a “real vacation” to just relax, enjoy fine dining (but only pay a fraction of what would cost in Singapore), and drink a 30,000 rupiah (3.00 SGD) beer under the sun - alcohol is too expensive in Singapore!

The weather in Bali took us by surprise. We were expecting to sweat buckets but it was strangely chilly that time of the year (end of July). Usually, that kind of weather is greatly welcomed, but this time we only packed beachwear - imagine how cold we were on the motorbikes. Safe to say, I am never going to underestimate the weather of a tropical country again.

Below are some of the highlights of our trip, and how we embraced the art of doing nothing.



Surrounded by paddy fields, NOOK is a perfect getaway and a breath of fresh air away from the busy Seminyak streets. I had a tough time deciding what I want from the extensive menu that just seemed to have every single dish you can get in Bali. Usually, I don’t expect much from places that have a huge menu - cos c'mon, how could you be good in everything - but I was proven wrong. We had the Big Breakfast and Ahi Poki to share - both were simply delicious! I was especially impressed with the poke because it was so fresh and the seasoning tasted very similar to what I had in Hawaii! Till now, I have yet to find poke in Singapore that tastes as good, so imagine what a pleasant surprise I had!


Location: Jl. Umalas 1 Gang Nook No. 1, Kuta Utara, Kabupaten Badung (about a 10 minute drive from Seminyak) 
Operating Hours: 8am to 11pm




We met up with my friend at Finns who happened to be in Bali at the same time. Because Finns wasn’t on our itinerary initially, I did not know what to expect. When I think of beach clubs in Bali, I can only think of Potato Head Beach Club, which is my favorite spot to hang out in Seminyak.

I was blown away by the great vibes it had upon stepping into the club. There were so many things going on at the same time - in a good way - and I just didn’t know what to focus my attention on. Unfortunately, we couldn’t stay for long because we had dinner plans, but I really enjoyed the good music and great atmosphere while we were there.

The downside to Finns was how difficult it was to get a ride back to Seminyak. Getting there is easy, though. Finns is located in Canggu, which is about 30 minutes away from Seminyak. There were very limited, almost no cabs in that area and for some reason, Uber drivers refused to pick us up because “the area is too dangerous." I would advise you to arrange your own transport to and fro in advance.

Location: Jalan Pantai Berawa, Tibubeneng, Kuta Utara, Kabupaten Badung (about a 30 minutes drive from Seminyak) 
Operating Hours: 9am to 12am


I had high expectations of the food here because of the many, great reviews online. Honestly, I didn’t think it was anything special, but the pasta was still delicious nonetheless. My Prawn Aglio Olio was cooked perfectly al dente and the prawns were very fresh. The restaurant has a very romantic atmosphere with the dim lighting and views looking out to the beach. Do make reservations in advance because this is a really popular place among tourists.

Location: Pantai Petitenget, Jalan Kayu Aya, Kerobokan, Kuta Utara, Seminyak, Kuta, Kabupaten Badung 
Operating Hours: 9am to 11pm



Granted the breakfast wasn’t the best we had, but the cafe is so cute that it is excusable to head down just for an Instagram moment.

Location: Jl. Petitenget No.99 X, Kerobokan Kelod, Kuta Utara, Kabupaten Badung 
Operating Hours: 7am to 4pm




I cannot love this place enough! It is my absolute must-go place in Seminyak and I would go back again, and again. Beware of the super long wait for the day bed though; we were placed on the waiting list for 4 hours before getting one. I recommend going early in the morning to put your name down and then head out to somewhere nearby for a massage or shopping. They will only hold the day bed for 10 minutes so make sure you don’t wander off too far! I know it sounds like a lot of work, but the day bed is worth the wait. We were there for practically the whole day, just catching up on our books reading, chilling and eating! The food was amazing; everything just tasted so good, especially the Fish & Chips!

Location: Seminyak, Jl. Petitenget No.51B, Kerobokan Kelod, Kuta Utara, Kabupaten Badung Operating Hours: 10am to 2am


Being Asian, I can’t survive too long without my noodles & soup. I was super excited to try the food at Fat Gajah and it gave me a reason to. The Smoked Duck Noodles were simple but tasty, and the dumplings were scrumptious with a unique blend of ingredients you don't normally find elsewhere - my cravings were well satisfied.

Location: Jl. Raya Seminyak No.21, Seminyak, Kuta, Kabupaten Badung
Operating Hours: 11am to 11pm

I'm a little late into the Eat, Pray, Love rave but after finishing the book, I needed to visit Ubud for the perfect laid-back, hippie weekend. I wasn’t expecting Ubud to have more tourists than in Seminyak but it turns out that you have to make reservations in advance for everything!


You can’t say you have been to Ubud without visiting the famous Tegalalang Rice Terrace at least once in your lifetime, even if it is not your kind of thing. To be honest, I feel that if you have seen one rice terrace, you have seen them all. The best time to visit the rice terrace is early in the morning or late afternoon when the sun isn’t scorching hot. It is bound to have a lot of tourists but don’t worry, the rice terrace is big enough to house everybody.

Location: Jalan Tegallalang, Tegallalang, Kabupaten Gianyar
Operating Hours: 7am to 5pm


Situated on top of a hill overlooking the treetops of Ubud, I cannot imagine a better location for a yoga studio. While practicing yoga, we could even hear the sounds of nature which were, for once, not coming from the radio - how calming! Since the classes are based on a first come, first served basis, it is best to arrive about 30 minutes early to get a slot. 

Location: Jl. Raya Tjampuhan, Penestanan Kaja, Sayan, Ubud, Kabupaten Gianyar
Operating Hours: 12am to 6pm, 8pm to 12am


I read that Taco Casa gets real busy during dinner time, but thankfully we went there for lunch and didn’t have to wait. My boyfriend had the beef fajitas and I had beef tacos with crispy taco shells with freshly squeezed lime juice. The food was real yummy! This place is great if you are bored and tired from eating all of the Balinese food, and crave for some freshly-prepared, reasonably-priced and authentic Mexican cuisine.

Location: Jl. Raya Pengosekan, Ubud, Gianyar, Kabupaten Gianyar
Operating Hours: 11am to 10pm



It was difficult deciding where to stay in Ubud but we finally decided to go with Sunset Hill because of its gorgeous infinity pool overlooking the lush jungle. We spent an afternoon just relaxing by the pool; it was so peaceful and serene. If only they had a heated pool - actually, if only every pool in the world were heated - it would have been so much nicer because it was cold AF, but I guess that’s too much to wish for. I still loved it, though!

With our accommodation being located a bit outside of Ubud, we decided to get a moped to get around everywhere. Renting a motorbike from Sunset Hill was really convenient and helpful since I was too lazy to walk to town. If you come to Ubud, you should definitely rent one to explore the area.


Sunset Hill is situated at the top of the famous Campuhan Ridge Walk. It is about a 30 minutes drive to town, but you can also choose to do a 20-30 minutes walk via the ridgeway, through Monkey Forest to the centre of Ubud.

Price: 117 SGD per night at the 1 Bedroom Deluxe
Location: Jl. Bangkiang Sidem 88, Banjar Bangkiang Sidem, Ubud, Ubud, Gianyar, Kabupaten Gianyar





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. That is best article i have ever seen. Your content is very informative for me. I hope someday i can holiday in bali too. Thank you for your information. villakubu.com

    ReplyDelete

one more happy people on the wayyy~